db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <tiago.de...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Database name length
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:29:35 GMT
Oh I actually forgot to mention this. What I've been testing isn't just the
creation of the database alone but also some basic CRUD operations. It is when I
try to create a table that I get an exception if I have more than 3 Latin
characters. The exception the server sees is essentially the same you observed
on DERBY-4799.

Tiago

----- Original Message ----
From: Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hatlen@oracle.com>
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Sent: Tue, 14 September, 2010 14:50:00
Subject: Re: Database name length

Tiago Espinha <tiago.derby@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Hello everyone again,
>
> I wanted to bottom-line the situation of the name length and define a course of
>
> action. Unless someone objects to it, I will go through with the plan.
[...]

+1 to the suggested approach.

> Knut has done some experiments on DERBY-4799 and I've also ran some experiments
>
> of my own, only to find that, for example, I can't create a database with more

> than three Latin characters (on 10.5.3.0). Because of this, even if the limit
> for Latin characters will now become 127 characters, it will still be an
> improvement over what we have right now which is broken.

For the record, I'm able to create databases with a lot more than three
Latin characters, also more than 127, on 10.5.3.0 in my environment, so
I think there are things that used to work that will stop working until
the limit is increased. But as I said above, I'm +1 to the suggested
approach.

--
Knut Anders