db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject lightweight releases (was Re: lunch recap)
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:27:18 GMT
  On 9/23/2010 11:48 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Kristian mentioned that the jars produced by Oracle for nightly tests
> should be public. They are available for the trunk and the last branch
> (10.6). Can you see them here:
>
> http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/
>
> That may be useful for your purposes and for getting quick user
> feedback on bug fixes.
Thanks Rick,

The purpose for such a release, for example the current need for a 10.5
release to fix DERBY-4677 is to get really important (especially
corruption) fixes available to the general user community without a huge
process intensive procedure.  I think Apache is pretty strict that we
need to vote on anything we release and I don't think that is really an
obstacle in making a release.  It is more the process.   By reducing the
number of bundles to test, taking out things like the docs, javadoc,
possibly source, mirroring, maven deployment etc. I think we can make
the process  easy enough to make sure we always have fixes available for
users for corruption or critical regressions on the branches.

  While I am sure there are users that pick builds up from the nightly
Oracle builds, it is not something we could send to derby-user and say,
please upgrade if you are using unique indexes on 10.5 for example.  The
motivation is just to provide important fixes to the wider user
community on release branches.

Thanks

Kathey