db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: lunch recap
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:48:14 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  Hello All,
>
> Just wanted to give a quick recap of today's lunch.  Attending were
> Rick, Bryan, Lily, Myrna and myself.
> It was great to see everyone and chat and we did touch on some Derby
> topics that I wanted to recap.
> Releases
>         - We talked a little bit about what might be the minimum
> required for a lightweight Derby maintenance release, for example on
> 10.5 to provide a fix for DERBY-4677 there.  Hopefully it would be
> something much more lightweight to produce, without docs,  release
> note's, mirroring etc, maybe even without source if that is ok by
> apache.  I will file a Jira issue for this.
Kristian mentioned that the jars produced by Oracle for nightly tests
should be public. They are available for the trunk and the last branch
(10.6). Can you see them here:

http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/

That may be useful for your purposes and for getting quick user feedback
on bug fixes.
>     - We talked about 10.7 and Rick mentioned that it was his hope to
> branch mid November and try to include a fix to make Derby less
> sensitive to interrupts.
>
> JDK 1.7 and JDBC 4.1
>     - Rick mentioned JDK 17 withJDBC 4.1 was in the works and that
> javadoc for JDBC 4.1 is in the Open JDK repository, so available to
> the public.
>     - I suggested that JDK 1.7 have some option to disable JDBC driver
> autoloading to provide a quick solution in the event of accidental
> Driver interaction, resource issues and potential upgrade issues
> related to loading all drivers on the classpath.  He asked me to send
> him an email on the issue and I will do so and cc this list.
I sent mail about this to JDBC spec lead Lance Andersen. I think that
the door has closed for Java 7 changes (jdbc 4.1), but now is the time
to raise issues which you would like to see addressed in Java 8.

> Harmony  and Derby
>   - I mentioned that I had recently tried the Derby tests with the
> Harmony JDK and they had fallen over completely due to security
> manager issues.  I will research a little more and send an email to
> the Harmony group.  It seems at one time they had the old harness
> tests running http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Derby, so
> hopefully it wouldn't be a major effort to get them going.
>
> In conclusion, Rick suggested for the next get together, we meet in
> the east bay for beverages.   I didn't mention it then, but think it
> would be great to invite the user community if we do that.

Cheers,
-Rick