db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject lunch recap
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:03:45 GMT
  Hello All,

Just wanted to give a quick recap of today's lunch.  Attending were
Rick, Bryan, Lily, Myrna and myself.
It was great to see everyone and chat and we did touch on some Derby
topics that I wanted to recap.
Releases
         - We talked a little bit about what might be the minimum
required for a lightweight Derby maintenance release, for example on
10.5 to provide a fix for DERBY-4677 there.  Hopefully it would be
something much more lightweight to produce, without docs,  release
note's, mirroring etc, maybe even without source if that is ok by
apache.  I will file a Jira issue for this.
     - We talked about 10.7 and Rick mentioned that it was his hope to
branch mid November and try to include a fix to make Derby less
sensitive to interrupts.

JDK 1.7 and JDBC 4.1
     - Rick mentioned JDK 17 withJDBC 4.1 was in the works and that
javadoc for JDBC 4.1 is in the Open JDK repository, so available to the
public.
     - I suggested that JDK 1.7 have some option to disable JDBC driver
autoloading to provide a quick solution in the event of accidental
Driver interaction, resource issues and potential upgrade issues related
to loading all drivers on the classpath.  He asked me to send him an
email on the issue and I will do so and cc this list.

Harmony  and Derby
   - I mentioned that I had recently tried the Derby tests with the
Harmony JDK and they had fallen over completely due to security manager
issues.  I will research a little more and send an email to the Harmony
group.  It seems at one time they had the old harness tests running
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Derby, so hopefully it wouldn't be
a major effort to get them going.

In conclusion, Rick suggested for the next get together, we meet in the
east bay for beverages.   I didn't mention it then, but think it would
be great to invite the user community if we do that.

Thanks

Kathey