db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Database name length
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:02:48 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  On 9/14/2010 5:50 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> DRDA is not one of Derby's governing standards. It is not mentioned
>> in Derby's charter and the community has never voted to require DRDA
>> compliance.
> Actually it is mentioned:
>
> "The Derby network server increases the reach of the Derby database
> engine by providing traditional client server functionality. The
> network server allows clients to connect over TCP/IP using the
> standard DRDA protocol. The network server allows the Derby engine to
> support networked JDBC, ODBC/CLI, Perl and PHP"
Just to be clear: this is a description of the technology currently used
internally, not a statement that DRDA compliance is required. Only 2
standards appear in the required list under the heading "Standards
based". Those standards are JDBC and ANSI SQL, which are supposed to aid
application portability. They are the apis which users program against.
Derby users do not program against DRDA apis.

> But perhaps this section needs to be revisited as while someone could
> write a  ODBC/CLI, Perl and PHP client, there is not one currently
> offered by anyone.
In this respect, DRDA may be harming us. It is a hard spec to read and I
think it discourages the writing of alternative language bindings for Derby.
>   Also we don't have a client section. I think that the important
> thing is to carefully  document our variations so the protocol is
> clear to whomever may want to write a new client.
Perhaps more importantly, good documentation makes it easier for us to
fix and extend our driver later on.

Thanks,
-Rick