db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Database name length
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:07:34 GMT
  On 9/14/2010 5:50 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> DRDA is not one of Derby's governing standards. It is not mentioned in
> Derby's charter and the community has never voted to require DRDA
> compliance.
Actually it is mentioned:

"The Derby network server increases the reach of the Derby database
engine by providing traditional client server functionality. The network
server allows clients to connect over TCP/IP using the standard DRDA
protocol. The network server allows the Derby engine to support
networked JDBC, ODBC/CLI, Perl and PHP"

But perhaps this section needs to be revisited as while someone could
write a  ODBC/CLI, Perl and PHP client, there is not one currently
offered by anyone.  Also we don't have a client section. I think that
the important thing is to carefully  document our variations so the
protocol is clear to whomever may want to write a new client.

Thanks

Kathey