db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Weekly code coverage reports?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:38:38 GMT
  On 10.09.10 18:10, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  The weekly code coverage reports seem to have stopped in April and
> the detail from that time is missing.
>
> http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/coverage/
>
> Is there someone that can take a look?  It would be great to get this
> transitioned to Hudson if possible.

Hi Kathey,

I had a go at moving to Clover in Hudson a while back. It wasn't as easy
as I had hoped for...
After having eliminated a number of initial obstacles (changes to
classpath in ant and maybe even in a few tests, JVM parameters, don't
remember the rest), here is the executive summary:
  o it takes a long time
  o it takes a lot of resources - some of the Derby tests are resource
intensive, the cost of the coverage tool comes on top
  o the coverage database is/will be large (was it around 5 GB?)
  o the report generation (separate step) failed

It seemed to me that Clover wasn't capable of handling the amount of
information generated by the Derby test suites. In the end I think I
tried running it with a 64-bit JVM allocating a heap more than 10 GB
large. We may be able to tweak Clover to reduce the amount of
information gathered and produced. We could turn off history and
individual test traces, but the main problem is still that almost every
test sequence will touch a lot of core code and generate large amounts
of trace data.

Besides from the technical problems, I'm not sure if hogging shared ASF
resources for extended periods of time is okay.
Further, I see it as unrealistic to generate frequent reports with the
current resources (mostly due to the fact that they are shared). We
could create several jobs, running only a suite or two each day. The
results would all be written to the same db, and the report generation
job could run once a week, every other week or once a month. This
approach will add to the admin overhead in Hudson though...

Note that Emma is also supported in Hudson, and there is also some
support for Cobertura and Sonar (not sure if this works with ant).
I think the work I did on Clover can be revived and tested with the new
version of the tool, and we already know Emma used to work.

--
Kristian