db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.7 release candidate in October
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 11:56:25 GMT
  On 20.08.10 19:04, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  On 8/20/2010 6:41 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> I am considering volunteering to manage a 10.7 release, producing a
>> first release candidate in mid-October. The following loose ends
>> probably need attention:
> It would really be great to have the automated update statistics and I
> know Kristian started work on that but I don't know how long it would
> take to finish.

Hi Kathey,

Due to the nature of the feature, and based on the work already done, I
would not recommend to wait for the automated statistics update feature.
The first step is to create something that works, then I suspect we have
to spend time to make it work better. I think the algorithm(s) used (for
instance to determine when we want to update the stats, possibly also
some kind of throttling) will be fuzzy.

It might actually be better if we have the basic pieces in place when we
start working on 10.8, and then do further testing and tuning with a
broad range of loads/applications.
The feature can easily be disabled, so it won't be a problem if early
stage code is shipped with 10.7. We can then enable the feature in 10.8.

In general I'm a bit worried about testing for this feature. It's easy
to test that it works in a specific scenario, but it's very hard to
verify that it works good enough in all scenarios...
It is obvious that we need a knob to disable the feature in case it
misbehaves :)

Regards,
--
Kristian