db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject juni test for optional pieces...
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:44:25 GMT
Hi,

We've agreed that we should not have 'false' failures in our test runs
for 'optional' pieces of software.
So we've either let skip quietly, or only with some warning message to
the output.
I've been thinking of ways to check and warn that pieces are missing.

One way I can think of doing this, is to have a test suite sitting on
top of (i.e. calling) functionTests.suites.All, which would fail if
various optional pieces aren't in place. I'm thinking of a test that
would check that encryption software, xalan (xml) support, and the
like are in place - and this can be manipulated to show what we expect
for various jvms, for instance.
That way, if you *think* you have all "optional" pieces in place, you
can run the higher level suite, and be automatically warned if
something's missing without having to manually verify the output, but
if you don't care about the optional pieces, or know you don't have
all, you can run suites.All.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Myrna