db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Alex McLintock <alex.mclint...@gmail.com>
Subject Documentation and DITA: The Derby Experience?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:56:56 GMT
Hi,

I'm not a Derby developer - but am working on the documentation of
another Apache project (Nutch). I'd like to know more about your
documentation system.

I've been recommended to look into DITA and can see that Derby uses it
for its documentation. In fact Derby seems to be the only Apache
project which does (AFAICS).

Can you tell me how well it works for you?
What are the problems you've found?
Are you able to do it with just free tools?
Is it overkill for a "small" OSS project? or is the extra hassle worth it?

If I were to set up DITA for a different Apache project should I copy
Derby's structure (including using specific old jarfiles!) or start
from scratch? I would prefer to copy Derby rather than roll my own,
but that may mean I blindly copy your mistakes - if any.

Hopefully you wont think that discussing Derby's documentation is off
topic for the dev list :-)

Thanks,

Alex