db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lily...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 10.6 message localizations
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 04:37:45 GMT
Hi Kristian:
    Thank you for the detail information.
I am still not getting ij to display chinese charater.
From your output, you are displaying Simplified Chinese.
版本 is Version. And, it is the same for Simplified and Complicated.
选择 is "set" and this is Simplified character. 選擇 is complicated character.

   I am not sure what jar file $JDB_10610 point to.
I set my derby.properties file with:
derby.ui.territory=zh_CN
derby.ui.locale=zh_CN
#derby.ui.codeset=GB2312
derby.ui.codeset=UTF8
    And, I did not get 版本, but ░µ▒╛

    When running java DisplayLocalization, I got:
$ java DisplayLocalization
/c/derby/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messag
es_zh_CN.properties 42XAH 42Z10 I028
42XAH=NEXT VALUE FOR ??????????????????? WHERE?ON?HAVING?ORDER
BY?DISTINCT?CASE?GENERATION ? AGGREGA
TE ???? WINDOW ??? CHECK ???
42Z10=??????????? Java ????? Derby ????????''{0}''?
I028=?????????????????????????

    After some research, I use swingsample from
http://www.chinesecomputing.com/programming/java.html.
I am hoping to display chinese character using swing by executing 'java
swingsample
/c/derby/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messages_zh_CN.properties'. I
could only display the original zh_CN message file.
Will it be some sort of font or resource file that I need for my system?

    Thanks Rick for point out using zh_CN for locale info.

Best Regards,
Lily

$ LANG=zh.UTF-8 ij -p derby.properties
ij ░µ▒╛ 10.7

Hi Lily,

I find using locales a bit confusing too, and tried to find a
description in our manuals. My very brief search took me to "About
locales" in the Derby Tools and Utilities Guide.

Now, here's what I did to get Chinese characters:
(they look Chinese to me when writing this mail, I have no idea if
copy and paste will work as expected...)

$ LANG=zh.UTF-8 java -cp $JDB_10610 org.apache.derby.tools.ij
ij 版本 10.6
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:testdb;create=true';
ij> values current_date;
1
----------
2010-08-04

已选择 1 行
ij> localizeddisplay on;
ij> values current_date;
1
-----------
2010年8月4日

已选择 1 行
ij>

It is unclear to me which of the zh localizations is used in this case.
Maybe there are rules determining that, or maybe you must/can specify
derby.ui.locale?

Now, I'm at a loss for how to display the localized messages easily. I
ended up writing a small Java code snippet (see the attached
DisplayLocalization.java).
Hopefully people will let us know if there is a simpler way :)

Hope this helps,
--
Kristian

>   Is the characters for current_date a valid display value for zh_CH locale?
>

> Thanks,
> Lily