db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: juni test for optional pieces...
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:45:14 GMT
  On 8/30/2010 7:09 PM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> I've been thinking of ways to check and warn that pieces are missing.
>>
>> One way I can think of doing this, is to have a test suite sitting on
>> top of (i.e. calling) functionTests.suites.All, which would fail if
>> various optional pieces aren't in place. I'm thinking of a test that
>
> Sounds wonderful!
>
> Perhaps we could even get by with something simpler. If we just had
> something like:
>
>   'ant verifyOptionalComponents'
>
> which ran a single simple test suite which tested for each of the
> optional components, then people who were trying to check their
> configuration could run this and get a report like:
>
>  Checking for optional components...
>  ... JDK 1.6 libraries are present
>  ... J2ME libraries are missing!
>  ... XML libraries are missing!
>
> etc.
>
> Although, it might be nice if it could print out a message saying
> *exactly*
> what was missing, so that the developer knew what configuration to add.

I think that would be great for checking configurations but it would be
good to have a way to force all tests to run and fail if functionality
you think intended to be  there is missing.  It seems in the nightlies
if we don't see actual fail counts they don't get noticed at least for a
while.  I don't know if this means multiple options or just one.