db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Bringing other Apache project code into Derby
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:12:31 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>  I noticed today that with DERBY-4754  we brought Apache Harmony code
>> for lobs into Derby.  I know we have been using Harmony code for the
>> stubs for build checks but actually using the code runtime seems an
>> extra step and I am not sure what implications it has for the
>> project.  Do we now need to do due diligence for CLA's etc on the
>> code we use or is it ok to just have faith that Harmony has done the
>> right thing?   I also am a little wary about supporting any large
>> amount of code from outside. This is just two small files, but maybe
>> it sets a precedent that is not good. Maybe it is all fine, but I am
>> curious about opinions.
>>

> For whatever it's worth, I think the Harmony project has exercised
> stricter due diligence than most projects from the very beginning.
> While they were in the Incubator they filed separate IP clearances for
> contributions from various companies when they could have followed an
> easier process by lumping them together as part of the main Harmony
> incubator page (backed by the appropriately filed software grants, of
> course).  Look for the Harmony / Incubator entries in the IP clearance
> page that established ASF projects use to process contributions:
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Harmony has gone to great trouble with their contribution policy to
> minimize risk to the ASF:
>
>   http://harmony.apache.org/contribution_policy.html
I agree with Jean that Harmony has tighter rules about who can even
contribute code. I believe that Harmony will not accept contributions
from anyone who has worked on the Oracle/Sun JDK--those contributions
are considered to be tainted. Applying that kind of rule to Derby might
prevent some of our committers from contributing--it could be argued
that their work is tainted by familiarity with the closed-source
databases made by their previous employers.

> Apache projects are free to include other Apache projects. Just need
> to be careful to include the proper attribution.
An extra attribution to Harmony was added to the NOTICE file when the
classes were checked in.

Regards,
-Rick