db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Bringing other Apache project code into Derby
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:54:11 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  I noticed today that with DERBY-4754  we brought Apache Harmony code
> for lobs into Derby.  I know we have been using Harmony code for the
> stubs for build checks but actually using the code runtime seems an
> extra step and I am not sure what implications it has for the
> project.  Do we now need to do due diligence for CLA's etc on the code
> we use or is it ok to just have faith that Harmony has done the right
> thing?   I also am a little wary about supporting any large amount of
> code from outside. This is just two small files, but maybe it sets a
> precedent that is not good. Maybe it is all fine, but I am curious
> about opinions.

For whatever it's worth, I think the Harmony project has exercised
stricter due diligence than most projects from the very beginning. While
they were in the Incubator they filed separate IP clearances for
contributions from various companies when they could have followed an
easier process by lumping them together as part of the main Harmony
incubator page (backed by the appropriately filed software grants, of
course).  Look for the Harmony / Incubator entries in the IP clearance
page that established ASF projects use to process contributions:

    http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Harmony has gone to great trouble with their contribution policy to
minimize risk to the ASF:

   http://harmony.apache.org/contribution_policy.html

Apache projects are free to include other Apache projects. Just need to
be careful to include the proper attribution.

regards,

 -jean