db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reconsidering an entry in orderby.out
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:00:37 GMT
 > I found the following test at line 1810 in
 > java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/master/orderby.out:

I agree, the query should not be allowed.

The challenge for DERBY-4371 is to reject the illegitimate queries
without rejecting any valid queries.

You might wonder why our test suites contain queries which demonstrate
that Derby is currently returning the wrong result.

Each time we encounter or think up a new interesting query like
this, we try to put the query into our test suite, so that, over time,
the test suite becomes richer and richer with more and more varieties
of queries.

So in this particular case, we added this query, and this test case, to
orderby.out, as part of the DERBY-3373 changes. Even though the answer
is wrong, it is still helpful to have the query in the test suites.

That way, when a subsequent change such as DERBY-4371 comes along, it
can change the test to demonstrate the improved results.

So, yes, it would be fine to change this test case to produce an
error, if that is the result of your work on DERBY-4371.

thanks,

bryan