db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <camilla.ha...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Documentation and DITA: The Derby Experience?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:46:42 GMT
Hi,

Rick and Bryan have done a great job summarizing the pros and cons of
DITA for the Derby project.

As a tech writer I find DITA and our toolkit fairly easy to work with.
Of course, I don't mind editing XML in a plain text editor -- some
people might, since this process is a bit error-prone.

The initial tool setup to generate output from DITA involved some rather
complicated work from a technical wizard, before I started on the
project -- some of the original DITA toolkit XSL files were modified to
generate the desired output. But the wizard is no longer working on the
project and we haven't found a contributor with comparable expertise, so
we are now pretty much unable to make fixes (like getting rid of all the
warnings Rick mentioned). Nor have we been able to upgrade to a later
version of the DITA toolkit. I would recommend starting with the most
current toolkit for a new project -- it probably has capabilities we
would take advantage of if we could (who knows, maybe we could generate

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Kim Haase