db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.6 message localizations
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 07:22:38 GMT
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 10:46:26PM -0700, Lily Wei wrote:
> Hi there:
>    I have a question about testing zh_Ch locale.
>
>    If I do 'java -Dderby.ui.locale=zh_CH -Dderby.ui.codeset=utf8
> org.apache.derby.tools.ij' and got error with message on 42504,
> should I see Chinese character error?
>
>    This is what I am seeing:
>   ij(CONNECTION1)> values REFRESH.to_degrees(15);
> ERROR 42504: User 'BACKUP' does not have EXECUTE permission on ROUTINE
> 'REFRESH'.'TO_DEGREES'.
>   (No chinese character here)
>
>    When do the following, I see some characters that appear to be foreign
> characters but not chinese.
>    java -Dderby.ui.locale=zh_CH -Dderby.ui.codeset=utf8
> org.apache.derby.tools.ij
>   ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:test;user=REFRESH;password=Refresh';
>   ij> localizeddisplay on;
>   ij> values current_date;
>   1
>   -----------
>   2010年8月3日 (<===These are foreign characters, but not Chinese)
>
>   How can I see chinese error message for ERROR 42504 or the message that we
> change for JIRA-4666?

Hi Lily,

I find using locales a bit confusing too, and tried to find a
description in our manuals. My very brief search took me to "About
locales" in the Derby Tools and Utilities Guide.

Now, here's what I did to get Chinese characters:
(they look Chinese to me when writing this mail, I have no idea if
copy and paste will work as expected...)

$ LANG=zh.UTF-8 java -cp $JDB_10610 org.apache.derby.tools.ij
ij 版本 10.6
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:testdb;create=true';
ij> values current_date;
1
----------
2010-08-04

已选择 1 行
ij> localizeddisplay on;
ij> values current_date;
1
-----------
2010年8月4日

已选择 1 行
ij>

It is unclear to me which of the zh localizations is used in this case.
Maybe there are rules determining that, or maybe you must/can specify
derby.ui.locale?

Now, I'm at a loss for how to display the localized messages easily. I
ended up writing a small Java code snippet (see the attached
DisplayLocalization.java).
Hopefully people will let us know if there is a simpler way :)

Hope this helps,
--
Kristian