db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem of using Xalan in PlanExporter tool
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:10:31 GMT
Hi All,

I used xalan.jar's classes to convert a XML to HTML
using an XSL style sheet. I was successfully compile
and build the code.

But yesterday Bryan mentioned that
the code is failed to compile successfully, in his environment.

Today I found that problem is with JDK version and xalan.
JDK/JRE by default contain a xalan-java classes in it and according
to xalan site (http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N100EF)
JDK/JRE 1.4, and JDK/JRE 5.0 is packaged with an old
version of Xalan-Java and the JDK/JRE will attempt to use this version
instead of any on the classpath.

In my case I didn't get any errors is because, I'm using java 1.6.0,
but Bryan (Derby as well) using java 1.4.2.
For this problem there's a work around given at Xalan site.
It is,

"To use a newer version of Xalan-Java and override the one packaged
with the JDK:
     use the Endorsed Standards Override
Place the xalan.jar, serializer.jar, xercesImpl.jar and xml-apis.jar in the
<java-home>\lib\endorsed directory, where <java-home> is where the
runtime software is installed."

Another option would be to avoid using new version of xalan,
and try to use old version that is packaged with JDK/JRE 1.4.
I'm now looking the possibilty of using old version of xalan.

If you have any other idea please suggest me.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Faculty of Engineering,