db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem of using Xalan in PlanExporter tool
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:10:31 GMT
Hi All,

I used xalan.jar's classes to convert a XML to HTML
using an XSL style sheet. I was successfully compile
and build the code.

But yesterday Bryan mentioned that
the code is failed to compile successfully, in his environment.

Today I found that problem is with JDK version and xalan.
JDK/JRE by default contain a xalan-java classes in it and according
to xalan site (http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N100EF)
JDK/JRE 1.4, and JDK/JRE 5.0 is packaged with an old
version of Xalan-Java and the JDK/JRE will attempt to use this version
instead of any on the classpath.

In my case I didn't get any errors is because, I'm using java 1.6.0,
but Bryan (Derby as well) using java 1.4.2.
For this problem there's a work around given at Xalan site.
It is,

"To use a newer version of Xalan-Java and override the one packaged
with the JDK:
     use the Endorsed Standards Override
Mechanism(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/standards/).
Place the xalan.jar, serializer.jar, xercesImpl.jar and xml-apis.jar in the
<java-home>\lib\endorsed directory, where <java-home> is where the
runtime software is installed."

Another option would be to avoid using new version of xalan,
and try to use old version that is packaged with JDK/JRE 1.4.
I'm now looking the possibilty of using old version of xalan.

If you have any other idea please suggest me.

Thank you very much!

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal