db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: PlanExporter library requirements (DERBY-4587) (long message)
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:51:43 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>  On 7/20/2010 7:03 PM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree wholeheartedly  as well with these points.   As for my
>>> admittedly  gut level concerns for adding the JQuery (non-Apache
>>> license)  build dependency and necessary NOTICE update, I sent an
>>> email query to someone that understands these issues better than I
>>> and hope to hear back soon.  I will post as soon as I understand it
>>> better.
>>>

>> Well Nirmal, I still don't understand things yet, but don't think I
>> should ask you to wait any longer.  I think you should investigate
>> build options that are as loosely coupled as possible as Bryan
>> suggests and ideally a build that will succeed if JQuery is not
>> present, but not build the functionality that needs it.  This is what
>> we used to do with the osgi.jar requirement before we checked in the
>> felix source for building.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kathey
>>

> We put considerable effort into making it possible to build the entire
> product code from what's checked into subversion. The previous
> arrangement forced developers to hunt around on the web for other assets
> before they could even get a complete build. We need to continue to have
> a product which builds completely out of the box. A complicated build
> setup is a real turnoff to newcomers. In fact, it's the number 1
> community killer on this list compiled by Postgres core team member Josh
> Berkus: http://blogs.sun.com/javaone2008/entry/ten_ways_to_destroy_your
>
> -1 to regressing this situation.
Given the added dependency I wonder if this project/code would be better
in another project.  I would rather see supporting tools on top of derby
handled by another project rather than increasing the dependencies and
complexities of the server.

Maybe concentrate on building things into Derby that allow open
extensions by add on's that are built separate from the base database
server component.

Would it fit in ddutils?