db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: PlanExporter library requirements (DERBY-4587) (long message)
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:54:57 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  On 7/20/2010 7:03 PM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly  as well with these points.   As for my
>> admittedly  gut level concerns for adding the JQuery (non-Apache
>> license)  build dependency and necessary NOTICE update, I sent an
>> email query to someone that understands these issues better than I
>> and hope to hear back soon.  I will post as soon as I understand it
>> better.
>>

> Well Nirmal, I still don't understand things yet, but don't think I
> should ask you to wait any longer.  I think you should investigate
> build options that are as loosely coupled as possible as Bryan
> suggests and ideally a build that will succeed if JQuery is not
> present, but not build the functionality that needs it.  This is what
> we used to do with the osgi.jar requirement before we checked in the
> felix source for building.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

We put considerable effort into making it possible to build the entire
product code from what's checked into subversion. The previous
arrangement forced developers to hunt around on the web for other assets
before they could even get a complete build. We need to continue to have
a product which builds completely out of the box. A complicated build
setup is a real turnoff to newcomers. In fact, it's the number 1
community killer on this list compiled by Postgres core team member Josh
Berkus: http://blogs.sun.com/javaone2008/entry/ten_ways_to_destroy_your

-1 to regressing this situation.

Regards,
-Rick