db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: PlanExporter library requirements (DERBY-4587) (long message)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:03:29 GMT
  On 7/20/2010 10:39 AM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> +1
>   I especially agree
> with the following:
>
> Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>
>> I think we need to be cautious about how we handle external libraries
>> such as Xalan or JQuery in the PlanExporter functionality. Derby needs
>> to run on an extremely broad spectrum of JVM implementations, and it
>> also needs to retain its low footprint, both in code size and in
>> runtime resource requirements.
>>
>> So I think we need to retain the basic principle that use of libraries
>> such as Xalan or JQuery must be as optional external libraries that
>> users can include if they wish for additional functionality, but also
>> can omit with no ill effects (except perhaps the loss of some
>> PlanExporter
>> functionality). This is the way the other Derby XML-related features
>> work.

I agree wholeheartedly  as well with these points.   As for my
admittedly  gut level concerns for adding the JQuery (non-Apache
license)  build dependency and necessary NOTICE update, I sent an email
query to someone that understands these issues better than I and hope to
hear back soon.  I will post as soon as I understand it better.

Thanks

Kathey