db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: instability in AccessTest?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:25:11 GMT
  On 7/15/2010 7:50 PM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Looking at the stack trace again, it seems this happens because we are
> trying to save a copy of the generated class file here:
>
> DatabaseClasses#loadGeneratedClass:
>          :
>      		} catch (VirtualMachineError vme) { // these may be beyond saving, but fwiw
>
> 			    WriteClassFile(fullyQualifiedName, classDump, vme);
>
> Normally we don't try to write the generated classfile to disk, so
> that's why we see the security exception, I presume.
>
> The Javadoc for VirtualMachineError says:
>
> "Thrown to indicate that the Java Virtual Machine is broken or has run
> out of resources necessary for it to continue operating. "
>
> so maybe my machine was out of resources.

It seems when a permission error occurs on the write, we lose the
VirtualMachineError.    It seems we need a priv block for
WriteClassFile.  Then if we still get a permissions error,  we should
make sure the VirtualMachineError is the one thrown or use initCause()
to get both exceptions.  I would think also the permissions to dump the
class in such dire circumstances should be documented.  I guess it would
be optional but highly recommended.