db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: regression test regressed
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:52:32 GMT
On 13.07.10 22:33, Tiago Espinha wrote:
> I think ideally we'd keep the max number of ports on a tight fit to what is
> actually needed, that's why I left them at 10. This way if new ports are
> required along the way, whoever makes the changes gets alerted that they need to
> increase this constant.
>
> Of course we can also overshoot and give it a large margin and possibly never
> get alerted by it again but I tend to prefer the tight fit approach. If we are
> introducing tests that require more ports, it's a good idea to alert the
> developer that it might have some repercussions in terms of parallel runs and of
> how far apart the port ranges should be.

I agree with this reasoning. After all, only a few tests are actually
requesting additional ports.

> It's interesting though, even if you define a base port through a property, this
> issue should still come up because you'll still be using more ports than the max
> allows...

That's true if you run all the suites in suites.All in serial, but when
you run tests in parallel each suite gets it's own TestConfiguration
(with its own base port).
Depending on which tests require an additional port (calling
getNextAvailablePort(), directly or indirectly), a parallel run may or
may not trigger the assert.

Returning to keeping the number of ports down, would it make sense to
store the bogus port in a static variable? This way, all the
TestConfiguration instances in a JVM would share the same port, which is
possible since it is reserved as a port where nothing is supposed to be
listening.

Regards,
--
Kristian