db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Additional Permission request to PlanExporter tool's tests
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:39:15 GMT
  On 7/10/2010 4:24 AM, Nirmal Fernando wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In order to run the tests I've created in XplainStatisticsTest.java class,
> I need read and write permissions to user's testing directory's
> extinout folder.
>
> Currently in derby_tests.policy file, it doesn't provide IO permissions to
> extinout folder under user's testing directory.
>
> So I like to request from the community to approve the above mentioned
> permission grant.

It is interesting to me that it is junit.jar that needs the permission.
I would have expected it to be derbytools.jar or derbyTesting.jar.

I think it it is fine to add this to the default testing policy file as
it only affects the testing jar and is for a specific directory
referenced just in the tests.  Generally I only make a separate specific
test policy file if it is one of the product jars that requires
increased permissions beyond what is documented, so that that permission
requirement doesn't creep into the product in general.