Kristian,

I don't think it's something that has changed recently -- at least not that recently.  However, if a developer has been using the same machine since JDK 1.4 was the default, they wouldn't see this issue (because they have have a real 1.4, not a symbolic link to 1.6).  This machine is a new machine, shipped with Snow Leopard, so only 1.6 is installed (and as noted, symbolic links from 1.4 and 1.5 -> 1.6).

Brett