db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldri...@gmail.com>
Subject Building Derby on MacOS X
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 03:24:12 GMT
I'm looking for a little guidance on building Derby on OS X.

I checked out the trunk from SVN, and followed the build instructions:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.html?view=co

While seemingly simple, I've run into a series of issues.  First attempt
failed quickly with deprecation errors.  So, I created a local.properties
file and set "deprecation=off".  That fixed that.

Subsequently, I get org.apache.xpath does not exist.  While the source tree
seems to contain these in tools/java, the build doesn't seem to use them
directly.  Adding them explicitly to ant.properties get's further

java14compile.classpath
java15compile.classpath
java16compile.classpath

Though first I had to set "printCompilerProperties=true" to capture the
relevant full paths.

Why doesn't Derby just use these by default?  What is the point of the nice
classpath detection code for OS X if ultimately you have to override the
classpath's completely in ant.properties?

Finally, I've ended up with a simple compilation failure:

compile_iapi_jdbc_stmt:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
/Users/brettw/Documents/dev/derby-trunk/trunk/classes
    [javac]
/Users/brettw/Documents/dev/derby-trunk/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/jdbc/BrokeredStatement.java:43:
org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.BrokeredStatement is not abstract and does not
override abstract method isPoolable() in java.sql.Statement
    [javac] public class BrokeredStatement implements EngineStatement
    [javac]        ^
    [javac]
/Users/brettw/Documents/dev/derby-trunk/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/jdbc/BrokeredStatement.java:563:
isClosed() in org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.BrokeredStatement cannot implement
isClosed() in java.sql.Statement; attempting to assign weaker access
privileges; was public
    [javac]     protected boolean isClosed() throws SQLException {
    [javac]                       ^
    [javac] 2 errors

This is the same error that was flagged when I loaded the source up in
Eclipse.  I thought my Eclipse build environment wasn't setup right, so
surely the official ant build would work.

So, I'm kindof stuck.  Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

By way of small criticism (and really I do love Derby), it should be a goal
of an open source project to get a successful build (on all platforms) by
simply performing (a) svn co ..., followed by (b) ant.

Thanks in advance.

Brett