db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Fwd: Re: build on iMac OS X 10.6
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:01:27 GMT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: build on iMac OS X 10.6
Date: 	Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:29:00 +0200
From: 	Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM>
To: 	derby-dev@db.apache.org

On 30.06.10 07:30, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>  I finally got to trying the build on the new iMac.  I tried following the BUILDING.html
directions exactly

Hi Kathey,

Did you add anything to ant.properties?

>  Attached is the result.   I did not set JAVA_HOME since it was not in the  instructions.
 Is that required?

I don't think setting JAVA_HOME is required for PropertySetter, and as
far as I can see it has been correctly detected.
You do have to invoke ant with a JDK (not a JRE, but this isn't an issue
in OS X, is it?). Is that documented?

PropertySetter seems to correctly detect the OS X parent Java home
directory.
However, the output you attached seems to indicate that no JDKs were
found at all.
It would be nice if you can do the following:
  a) post the directory structure of
'/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions' (i.e. ls -l to
print symbolic links)
  b) apply patch 2a from DERBY-4694 and run ant with
-DprintCompilerPropertiesVerbose=true and post the output

FYI, here's the output when run on a Mac Mini (some years old):
[setJdkProperties] Locating JDKs:
[setJdkProperties] Missing JDK directory:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3/Classes
[setJdkProperties] found JDK: vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.,
specVersion=1.4, implVersion=1.4.2_22,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4
[setJdkProperties] found JDK: vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.,
specVersion=1.5, implVersion=1.5.0,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5
[setJdkProperties] found JDK: vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.,
specVersion=1.6, implVersion=1.6.0_20,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6
[setJdkProperties] Missing JDK directory:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Classes
[setJdkProperties]
[setJdkProperties] Selecting JDK candidates:
[setJdkProperties] Candidate JDK for specification version 1.4 (vendor
Apple Inc.): vendor=Apple Computer, Inc., specVersion=1.4,
implVersion=1.4.2_22,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4
[setJdkProperties] Candidate JDK for specification version 1.5 (vendor
Apple Inc.): vendor=Apple Computer, Inc., specVersion=1.5,
implVersion=1.5.0,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5
[setJdkProperties] Candidate JDK for specification version 1.6 (vendor
Apple Inc.): vendor=Apple Computer, Inc., specVersion=1.6,
implVersion=1.6.0_20,
path=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6

Regards,
--
Kristian

>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:trunk kmarsden$ java -version
>  java version "1.6.0_20"
>  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
>  Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)
>
>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:trunk kmarsden$ ant -version
>  Apache Ant version 1.8.1 compiled on April 30 2010
>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:trunk kmarsden$
>
>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:bin kmarsden$ which java
>  /usr/bin/java
>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:bin kmarsden$ ls -l /usr/bin/java
>  lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  74 Jun 20 08:54 /usr/bin/java ->   /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java
>  Katherine-Marsdens-iMac:bin kmarsden$
>

>  Also I don't see Junit 3.8.2 at www.junit.org which is the location we give.   Can I
use a newer version or should we point somewhere else?