db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: What's wrong with test classes extending ScriptTestCase
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:54:34 GMT
Hi Yun,

I have never tried to run the tests with anything other than the default
locale--on my machine in my part of the world that is US English. If I
were going to try to run the tests with another locale, I would try one
of the following experiments. Hopefully, you will get advice from
someone who has successfully run the tests with a non-English locale:

1) I would try changing the default locale on the Java command line by
setting the user.language and user.country variables. For details on how
to do this, see http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/locale/

2) If that doesn't work, I would try removing the message jars for the
default localization from the classpath (maybe move them to a separate
directory). If Derby can't find a localized version for a message, Derby
should fall back on using US English.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

yun lee wrote:
> Hi, Rick. Thanks for your advice! I agree with your judge related to
> Chinese character set, as I have seen Chinese chars when testing. For
> a pure junit test class, such as ToolScripts (a subclass of
> ScriptTestCase), how to change the locale to be English?  Thanks!
>
> Best Wishes
> Yun
>

> 2010/6/22 Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>:
>
>> Hi Yun,
>>
>> That many ? characters in the UT_0RowsInserUpdatDelet message suggests to me
>> that the tests are running with one of the Chinese locales. I think that the
>> canon-based tests like LangScripts expect the locale to be English.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> -Rick
>>
>> yun lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all. There's sth. wrong with  test classes extending
>>> ScriptTestCase in my environment.
>>>
>>> For example, when running ToolScripts (a subclass of ScriptTestCase )
>>> on DOS, all the tests failed like shown below. I have compared the
>>> output with the .out file, and puzzled with so many messy code "?". Is
>>> this caused by Character encoding? How to resolve this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot !
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Yun
>>>

>>> D:\derby\test>java junit.textui.TestRunner
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests
>>> .tests.tools.ToolScripts
>>> .F.F.F.F.F.F.F.F.F
>>> Time: 13.797
>>> There were 9 failures:
>>> 1)
>>> ij7(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolScripts)junit.frame
>>> work.ComparisonFailure: Output at line 21 expected:<[0 rows
>>> inserted/updated/del
>>> eted]> but was:<[????????? 0 ?]>
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.CanonTestCase.compareCanon
>>> (CanonTestCase.java:106)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.ScriptTestCase.runTest(Scr
>>> iptTestCase.java:198)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:
>>> 109)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>> 2)
>>> showindex_embed(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolScripts
>>> )junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Output at line 26 expected:<[0 rows
>>> inserted
>>> /updated/deleted]> but was:<[????????? 0 ?]>
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.CanonTestCase.compareCanon
>>> (CanonTestCase.java:106)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.ScriptTestCase.runTest(Scr
>>> iptTestCase.java:198)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:
>>> 109)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>> 3)
>>> qualifiedIdentifiers(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolSc
>>> ripts)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Output at line 20 expected:<[0
>>> rows ins
>>> erted/updated/deleted]> but was:<[????????? 0 ?]>
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.CanonTestCase.compareCanon
>>> (CanonTestCase.java:106)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.ScriptTestCase.runTest(Scr
>>> iptTestCase.java:198)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:
>>> 109)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>> 4)
>>> ij_show_roles_dbo(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolScrip
>>> ts)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Output at line 10 expected:<[0 rows
>>> insert
>>> ed/updated/deleted]> but was:<[????????? 0 ?]>
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.CanonTestCase.compareCanon
>>> (CanonTestCase.java:106)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.ScriptTestCase.runTest(Scr
>>> iptTestCase.java:198)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:
>>> 109)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>> 5)
>>> ij_show_roles_usr(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolScrip
> [...]
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>>        at
>>> org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57
>>> )
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
>>>        at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
>>> showindex_client(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.tools.ToolScript