db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tiago R. Espinha (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (DERBY-728) Unable to create databases whose name containg Chinese characters through the client driver
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 20:35:14 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-728?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12877191#action_12877191
] 

Tiago R. Espinha commented on DERBY-728:
----------------------------------------

I need to brainstorm a bit here regarding the Utf8CcsidManager class that I have.

There's one thing that I didn't implement because of a detail regarding the following method:
public String convertToUCS2(byte[] sourceBytes, int offset, int numToConvert) { }

So far we had this method on the EbcdicCcsidManager and then it's fine because EBCDIC only
uses one byte per character at all times. So the offset parameter always works in a consistent
way, that is to say that if offset is 5, we are not only getting 5 sourceBytes but also getting
exactly 5 characters.

However, when we come to an Utf8CcsidManager, this offset might land straight in the middle
of a character; then if we cut a character in half byte-wise, we will end with a totally different
character.

Is it acceptable to consider offset as a number of characters rather than a number of bytes?
It works both ways in EBCDIC but for UTF8 it would mean converting the sourceBytes to a String,
offsetting it character-wise, and then convert the «offsetted» String to UCS2.

Any other ideas anyone might have?

> Unable to create databases whose name containg Chinese characters through the client
driver
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-728
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-728
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Network Client
>    Affects Versions: 10.1.2.1
>         Environment: Debian unstable, LInux 2.6.14.2, libc 2.3.5-6
>            Reporter: Andrei Badea
>            Assignee: Tiago R. Espinha
>         Attachments: ACR7007.pdf, BigTableName.java, derby-728-startingpoint.diff, DERBY-728_p1.diff,
derby-728_proto_diff.txt
>
>
> Trying to create a database with the following URL (note the Chinese character in the
database name):
> jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/\u4e10;create=true
> throws the following exception:
> -----%<-----
> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Unicode string can't
convert to Ebcdic string
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.EbcdicCcsidManager.convertFromUCS2(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.Request.writeScalarPaddedString(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionRequest.buildRDBNAM(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionRequest.buildACCSEC(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionRequest.writeAccessSecurity(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.writeServerAttributesAndKeyExchange(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowServerAttributesAndKeyExchange(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowUSRIDONLconnect(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowConnect(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
>         at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193)
>         at jdbctest.Main.main(Main.java:33)
> -----%<-----
> It's possible, however, to create databases using the embedded driver, using an URL like:
> jdbc:derby:\u4e10;create=true
> Tested with both 10.1.1.0 and 10.1.2.1 with the same result.
> Complete code to reproduce the bug:
> -----%<-----
> public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>     Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver");
>     Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/\u4e10;create=true");
> }
> -----%<-----

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message