db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Why derby do not auto commit?
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 14:29:01 GMT
On 31.05.10 16:04, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> On 05/31/10 03:38 PM, Kristian Waagan wrote:
>
>> Is the paragraph referenced from the devguide accurate enough, or should
>> we change it?
>> There seems to be many fine details to handle related to this issue...
>>

> I think that the paragraph is accurate enough. It doesn't say what
> happens when a connection is closed, but that's probably best to leave
> unspecified until we have harmonized the drivers.
>
> I'm wondering about this sentence, though:
>
>      In the case of a statement returning a /ResultSet/, the statement
>      completes when the last row of the /ResultSet/ has been retrieved or
>      the /ResultSet/ has been closed explicitly.
>

> Is it correct that the statement is completed when the last row has been
> retrieved if the result set is scrollable? I thought this was only the
> case for forward-only result sets.

Well, the code posted for this discussion does "while (rst.next())" to
print the inserted row, but the insert is lost after the connection close.
I also tried calling rst.afterLast(), and the insert still got lost
after connection close.

To test this with the client driver, I added a rollback after the having
read the last row of the result set. The insert was lost.

--
Kristian