db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accessing SYSXPLAIN tables via java methods?
Date Fri, 28 May 2010 00:39:47 GMT
Hi Nirmal,

I think that the tool which formats the SYSXPLAIN data as XML should
assume that the XPLAIN tables are already fully populated for the
query of interest. I think the tool should take as its arguments:

  - the database connection information
  - the name of the schema which holds the XPLAIN tables of interest
  - the statement ID for which we want to format the query plan as XML

So, perhaps an invocation of the tool would look something like:

   java org.apache.derby.tools.exportQueryPlanAsXML \
        -c jdbc:derby:myDB \
        -u bpendleton \
        -p my-password \
        -schema my_stats \
        -statement my-long-and-ugly-UUID \
   >myQueryPlan.xml

Before using this tool, the user would therefore have to first separately
capture the query plan data into the SYSXPLAIN tables, using the procedures
that you referenced in your message.

Does that sound like a workable idea?

thanks,

bryan