db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Most appropriate place to locate the new Visualizer tool
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 13:38:48 GMT
On 05/24/2010 08:15 PM, Nirmal Fernando wrote:
> new tool which can process the query plan and execution statistics
> information and present it in a more comprehensible fashion i.e. a
> graphical interpretation of the query plan.

Hi Nirmal,

I think we should organize the new tool in a fashion similar to the
existing 'ij', 'sysinfo', and 'dblook' tools. That is, as a standalone
Java program whose main class lives in org.apache.derby.tools.exportQueryPlan
in the 'java/tools' hierarchy, and whose supplemental internal classes,
if any, live in org.apache.derby.impl.tools.exportqueryplan.*

I'm hoping the community has suggestions about the name of the
tool, as 'exportQueryPlan' is perhaps a bit awkward and verbose.

The other part of the proposed tool is an XSL stylesheet. This tool
could be stored in our source tree in a variety of possible locations,
and distributed in our releases in a variety of possible locations,
and nothing yet has jumped out to me as an obvious choice for that.

I think that for the XSL stylesheet, we should perhaps create a new
directory in the source tree: java/tools/exportQueryPlan, and store
the XSL stylesheet there.

What do others think?

thanks,

bryan