db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: question about deleting clob should reclaim disk space like blob
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 21:47:37 GMT
My comments apply to database size as is measured by the files stored
in the seg0 directory.  It looks like your test includes the log
directory.  Space reclamation of files in the log directory is
orthogonal to space reclamation in the seg0 directory and trying
to understand the sum of these 2 is confusing.

The default for the files in the log directory is that each file
represents a piece of an ever appended transaction log.  When a
checkpoint happens (internal systems determine when this happens),
then the system figures out which of the older files are no longer
needed to properly recover and roll forward the current transactions
and those are deleted.  If the system has enabled the backup with
rollfoward option then these files are not deleted until the user
executes an explicit new backup command that allows the older files
to be deleted.

The expected behavior of files in the seg0 directory is that space is
never returned to the OS after deleting rows in a table, until the user
executes one of the compress commands.  Deleted row space may be used
by subsequent inserts to the same table.  Also not part of this test,
but space of dropped tables will also be returned to the OS.