db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Should DatabaseMetaData.getTypeInfo() return OBJECT in soft upgrade mode
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 16:07:36 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I was wondering, should DatabaseMetaData.getSQLTypes() return OBJECT
> in soft ugprade mode?
>
> I was running 10.5.3 tests against a soft upgraded database to 10.6
> and see quite a few fail because this is included. Should it be in
> soft upgrade mode?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

Hi Kathey,

Thanks for testing soft-upgrade. My feeling is that this new behavior
corrects a bug in 10.5 and previous releases. I believe that in older
releases, DatabasebaseMetaData.getTypeInfo() ought to return the row for
the OBJECT type because the system catalogs contain object columns (e.g.
SYSCONGLOMERATES.DESCRIPTOR). In the embedded driver in old releases,
the corresponding call to DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() reports that
SYSCONGLOMERATES.DESCRIPTOR is of JAVA_OBJECT type and has typename
"org.apache.derby.catalog.IndexDescriptor".

In my opinion, the metadata for the object columns in the system
catalogs is not consistent within either of Derby's JDBC drivers nor
across them. I think that soft-upgrade to 10.6 improves the situation
and hard-upgrade to 10.6 makes the situation even better. We could put
effort into improving the metadata for these columns in older release
branches. However, I think that would be a low value project.

Thanks,
-Rick