db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Contents of the source bundle
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 21:36:26 GMT
On 03.05.10 21:36, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
> Some comments inline...
>
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When testing the source bundle(s), I noticed:
>> a) the contents .zip and the tar.gz are equal (a good thing)
> Hooray!
>> b) we include the maven directory, but not the maven2 directory
>> (see DERBY-4632, the Maven 1 files are suggested deleted)
>> Should we include maven2 and exclude maven, or remove it
> Thanks for pointing this out. I have corrected the release-building
> targets to include maven2 but not the original maven directory which you
> are going to deprecate.
>> c) we don't include any IDE files/projects. Is this intentional?
> Thanks to you and Knut for drawing my attention to DERBY-3857. I also
> corrected the release building targets to pull in the ide subtree.

Thanks, Rick.

A next step here (independent of what you improved now), is to make sure
the IDE project files are in a good state. Maybe we get more feedback on
this now that we're including the files in the src bundle.

> I notice that DERBY-3857 was open for a long time even though the fix
> was trivial. I don't think that the category "build tools" is specific
> enough to get the attention of our release managers. Maybe we need to
> flag these issues with a keyword to distinguish release-generation
> issues from ordinary defects in our cumbersome build.

+1

Is this new keyword already documented in the release process wiki page?

>> I also tried building Derby on various system, and except for some
>> build automagic issues and an ant issue, this worked fine using the
>> source bundle.
>>

> I don't feel that these defects warrant a re-spin by themselves.
> However, I merged the release-building changes to the 10.6 branch in
> case we need another candidate.

I completely agree, I'm just working my way through issues I discovered
during testing of the RC.
I do however observe some hangs (client/server), but only a few tests
seem to be affected on a few specific platforms / JVMs (I'll add more
information soon).

Thanks,
--
Kristian