db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Contents of the source bundle
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 19:36:17 GMT
Hi Kristian,

Some comments inline...

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When testing the source bundle(s), I noticed:
>  a) the contents .zip and the tar.gz are equal (a good thing)
Hooray!
>  b) we include the maven directory, but not the maven2 directory
>     (see DERBY-4632, the Maven 1 files are suggested deleted)
>     Should we include maven2 and exclude maven, or remove it
Thanks for pointing this out. I have corrected the release-building
targets to include maven2 but not the original maven directory which you
are going to deprecate.
>  c) we don't include any IDE files/projects. Is this intentional?
Thanks to you and Knut for drawing my attention to DERBY-3857. I also
corrected the release building targets to pull in the ide subtree.

I notice that DERBY-3857 was open for a long time even though the fix
was trivial. I don't think that the category "build tools" is specific
enough to get the attention of our release managers. Maybe we need to
flag these issues with a keyword to distinguish release-generation
issues from ordinary defects in our cumbersome build.

> I also tried building Derby on various system, and except for some
> build automagic issues and an ant issue, this worked fine using the
> source bundle.

I don't feel that these defects warrant a re-spin by themselves.
However, I merged the release-building changes to the 10.6 branch in
case we need another candidate.

Thanks,
-Rick