db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lily...@yahoo.com>
Subject question about deleting clob should reclaim disk space like blob
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 18:21:58 GMT
Hi There:

  I am seeing delete clob data from a table does not reclaim the disk space. The same behavior
does not happen to blob. For Blob, after delete, the database size will decrease. However,
for Clob, after delete, the database size remaind the same. If we check the compression space
after delete clob using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE, the size is smaller after
delete clob rows. And, this is the same with blob.

   Is this a bug or expected behavior?

   I am attaching the repro for you to review.

   Note the output indicate the databaseSize() did not change after delete clob data from
TAB table:
The database size: 11494963
delete rows from TAB
The database size: 11494963