db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 'derbyall' test run failed
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:55:46 GMT
> I ran the test with some System.out.println(....) added to the code,
> but not with modifications for functionalities. Will that have an
> impact on failures of tests?

Yes, these tests are very sensitive to that sort of a change. The tests
in the derbyall suite tend to:
  - run a script through "ij", capturing the output
  - diff the output against the expected output

So if you change the output of ij by inserting print statements, your
print statements will cause diffs, as you have found.

Sometimes I insert print statements and run the tests like this
intentionally, in order to uncover test scenarios which exercise
the particular code that I'm interested in. Then, after running
the tests, I can dig through the output to see where my print
statements appeared, and go back and study those tests in more detail.

But when I want to get a clean test run, I have to remove all the
print statements that I added (or comment them out).

thanks,

bryan