db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VTI tables
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:36:14 GMT
On 22.04.10 18:27, Ян Программист wrote:
> Runtime checks of transaction related locks require good thread based
> performance. Currently there where problems with reflection API,
> especially null arguments. If community will reject in helping me with
> Java 6 support of VTI sources - than I will have to reject
> multi-transactional support for that XML-to-SQL translation stuff.
> Especially in focus of ORM/JDO trageting to Java 6 (all Java ORMs
> currently require Java 6 because of annotations). John
>
> P.S. You haven't responded about an idea of community voting against
> XML parser to support in SQL/XML for Derby. I asked you about that at
> least 2 times (if I am not wrong), Respond to derby-dev

John,

As a member of the community, I'm not required to answer your posts.
I don't have to explain myself either, but here's why I haven't
responded to your posts (both privately mailed and on the list):
   - I don't have much hands-on experience with XML (neither in general,
nor in relation with SQL)
   - I have other responsibilities, both professional and personal,
which have higher priorities
   - to be honest, I sometimes have problems understanding your posts. I
don't understand what kind of feedback you are expecting.
     English isn't my native language, probably not yours either.
Different languages can be an issue at times, but we don't have many
other appealing options than being patient and try our best to write
clear and polite posts.

When I ask questions, I mostly address them to the community as a whole
- not to a specific person. There are exceptions of course, for instance
when I have been working closely with another member of the community on
a specific issue.
That said, even if I write "John, why is this piece of code behaving
like this?", any community member is free to pitch in and reply to my
post. Further, the fact that a person answers one question doesn't mean
that this person is obliged to answer follow-up questions.

Finally, it may be hard for people to understand the problems you are
referring to because you haven't posted any code yet. Unless people have
a special interest in the topic, one can't expect everyone to spend a
lot of time investigating broad topics like XML support in databases and
the implications for ORM frameworks using annotations.
Assuming the ORM interacts with Derby through JDBC, I suppose the ORM
can be compiled independently of Derby using Java 6 features.
Where do you need to use annotations in the Derby source code?

Nobody has rejected to help you. Maybe people are having difficulties
understanding how they can help you?

--
Kristian