db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enabling XML Operations: Setting XALAN in CLASSPATH
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:52:27 GMT
Nirmal Fernando wrote:
> But when I issue this: java -jar derbyrun.jar ij
>          it failed and providing that error about classpath not containing xalan.jar.
>
> So, this arose questions why this happens like this, and what is the best way to start
ij.

Hi Nirmal, I'm glad you've got the classpath issue figured out. Thanks Knut Anders for
catching that, it's pretty subtle that the 'java' command ignores the classpath argument
in this case.

The behavior is documented here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/getstart/rgsderbyrunjarsyntax.html
but I think we could have made it a bit more explicit that this technique ignores the
classpath argument.

Nirmal, if you think it would help, you could file a documentation bug against that
doc page, and provide a patch with some wording that describes that when you use this
style of running the Derby tools and Network Server, the classpath variable and -cp
arguments to the java command are not used.

This doc will need to distinguish between the '-cp' argument to 'java' and the '-cp'
argument to sysinfo, of course :)

In my own work, I find that I almost never run '-jar derbyrun.jar'.

However, I very frequently put derbyrun.jar into my classpath, or in my -cp argument.

When I put derbyrun.jar into the -cp argument, I've never had any trouble putting
additional jars into the same -cp argument. So I agree, it's just the -jar style
that's a bit unusual in this respect.

thanks,

bryan