db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Anybody knows how to configure to run JDBC[tm] API Test Suite 1.3.1
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:01:46 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 7:09 AM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> What is RmiJdbc? I hadn't heard of that before. I think that might
>> have been
>> a Cloudscape-specific functionality, and probably we can't test that
>> with Derby.
>>
> RmiJdbc was an ancient client/server solution that was never suitable
> for production use except for possibly pulling occasional reports
> remotely in a primarily embedded application.   I don't remember the
> details or licensing at the time, but think there was external code
> involved too and so was not part of the open source contribution.
>
> I think probably CTS 1.3.1 is very ancient as I think that is what I was
> working with ten years ago or so when I was last working with  it.  Is
> there a newer one that comes preconfigured for Derby that Eranda can
> use?  I see Ole ran CTS for 10.5.3 and maybe can provide some guidance.
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenFiveThreePlatformTesting

Last time I set up and ran the JDBC CTS against Derby I believe I was
using version 1.4.1, so yes there are newer versions. Probably that is
what was used against Derby 10.5.3 as well.

I remember that setting this up completely with Derby (in an automated
fashion) was a rather complex task. I also remember using a
"configuration and porting bundle" with files necessary to execute the
CTS against Sun's J2EE Application Server. From digging in my archive I
found out that I got this from a Sun-internal location. I don't know
what or which versions are available to the outside.

I was not able to find a reference to RmiJdbc in the configuration files
I used, so I'm afraid I cannot be of much help. My shot-in-the-dark
suggestion would be to try to search and find out where (config file,
test file, etc.) the cloudscape RMI class is specified and see if it can
be removed or changed to e.g. the Derby client driver.

--
John