db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Fw: Juni Tests
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:39:05 GMT
On10.04.2010 18:37, Nirmal Fernando wrote:
> Thanks Tiago !!
>
> Ya, I ran the command that Bryan had posted few mails ago. It included
> those maximizing memory allocation.
>
> By the way, at what times we need to run suites.All? Is it only when
> we create a patch?

I run suites.All with as good as every patch I commit.
The exceptions are JavaDoc changes only, or other trivial changes.
Sometimes I have committed what I believed was trivial changes, and then
one or more tests failed in the nightly tests run by members of the
community... Sometimes tests fail on some platforms only, so you may see
failures in the nightlies even if the tests passed on your own machine.
Running the regression tests is a good way to root out problems with
patches early on.

If you're working on a patch and you know specific tests are failing
(maybe after running suites.All for the first time), it is better to
keep running the specific test(s) until the errors have been corrected,
otherwise your iterations will take a very long time. When you feel the
code is ready, you can start the full suite again.
For JUnit, run
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.[directory]._Suite to run
all tests within the specified directory (a Derby convention).

As I mentioned above, some people run suites.All every day and post the
results to derby-dev. For instance, see Ole's results at
http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/ .
As a developer, unless you have a special interest in testing, running
the regression tests when you test patches should be sufficient.
Sometimes running the tests with a clean code base is helpful to verify
that the tests are running fine on your machine.

Regards,
--
Kristian