db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <tiago.de...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Fw: Juni Tests
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:26:55 GMT
Hello Nirmal,

I'm glad that you finally got it running. The how long tests take to run depends a lot on
the machine you're running them on and even on the operating system. There are a few tests
that if I recall correctly take ages on Windows but are much faster on *nix systems.

Since you're running them on Windows and with an average dual core computer, you're looking
at at least 3 or 4 hours for the whole suites.All.

Also be wary that if this:

java junit.testui.TestRunner org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All

is the way you're running your suites.All, your run will most certainly fail. There are some
tests in suites. All that require a great deal of memory and it's easy to exhaust the 128Mb(?)
limit imposed by default on each JVM.

Here's what I use:

java -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m junit.textui.TestRunner org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All

I start with 128Mb of memory allocated, allow it to expand to 1Gb and that last argument I
believe has to do with the size of the heap, as it does run out for some of the tests as well.

Hope it helps,
Tiago