db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mamta Satoor <msat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade work when a new column is added to an existing system table...
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:44:28 GMT
Hi Rick,

I have started exploring your idea of including the trigger action
column information in SYSTRIGGERS.REFERENCEDCOLUMNS. As you suggested,
this will require changing the implementation of
ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl. I noticed though that this
implementation gets used by 2 other system tables, namely SYSCHECKS
and SYSCONSTRAINTS. Of course, for those 2 system tables, the new
information in ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl means nothing. the new
information will only have meaning for triggers.

I wanted to bring up this column(ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl)
usage by 3 system tables though, rather than just SYSTRIGGERS.

thanks,
Mamta

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Mamta Satoor <msatoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> C) When creating a new trigger, if the database is at level 10.5 or earlier,
>> then ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl is created only with an
>> UpdateColumnList, and TriggerActionColumnList is left null. However, if the
>> database level is 10.6 or later, then the new
>> ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl is created with both an UpdateColumnList and
>> a TriggerActionColumnList.
>>
>> D) Now for the tricky part. When serializing/deserializing a
>> ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl, we overload the meaning of the first
>> integer written/read by the writeExternal()/readExternal() methods. Let us
>> call this integer VersionNumber.
>>
>> i) If ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl was created with a null
>> TriggerActionColumnList, then VersionNumber continues to be what it was in
>> 10.5 and earlier, viz., the length of the UpdateColumnList array.
>> (De)serialization is the same as it was in 10.5.
>>
>> ii) However, if ReferencedColumnsDescriptorImpl was created with a non-null
>> TriggerActionColumnList, then VersionNumber is -1. In this case, we
>> (de)serialize both UpdateColumnList and TriggerActionColumnList.
>>
>> E) At query execution time, if TriggerActionColumnList is null, then the
>> user sees the 10.5 behavior. However, if TriggerActionColumnList is not
>> null, then the user sees the performance improvement you are introducing.
>>
>> Hope this makes sense and seems useful,
>> -Rick
>>

>> Mamta Satoor wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was looking for some guidence regarding upgrade work involved when a
>>> new column needs to be added to an existing system table and that
>>> column needs to be initialized to different value depending on the row
>>> in the table.
>>>
>>> As part of DERBY-1482, I need to add a new column to SYSTRIGGERS. That
>>> column is going to be of the type
>>> org.apache.derby.catalog.ReferencedColumns. The purpose of this column
>>> is to keep track of all the columns (from the trigger table) which are
>>> referenced in the trigger action through the REFERENCE clause of
>>> CREATE TRIGGER. eg
>>> create trigger tr1 after update of id on t1 referencing old as oldt
>>>        for each row insert into t2(id2) values (oldt.j);
>>> For the trigger above, we will note in SYSTRIGGERS that column j from
>>> the trigger table t1 is getting referenced in the trigger action. We
>>> will use this information to decide which columns need to be read in
>>> when the user executes an UPDATE t1(updating column id) SQL which will
>>> fire the trigger tr1. This will be especially useful if the table t1
>>> has LOB columns.
>>>
>>> My question is did we need to add a new column to an existing system
>>> table in the past? If yes, I would love to reuse that code if possible
>>> rather than reinventing the wheel. I do see following method in
>>> DataDictionaryImpl but do not see it getting called from anywhere
>>>        /**
>>>          * Upgrade an existing catalog by adding columns.
     Associated