db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <tiago.de...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Out next week
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:15:10 GMT
Dear Kathey et al,

Here goes the initial draft for my GSoC proposal. Please, if you have any comments on possible
improvements, let me know.

In the meanwhile I've been reading some DRDA documentation and I'll be having a stab at DERBY-4584,
to build my way up to DERBY-728.

I've also read about Jayaram's issue and I'm fairly certain that I ran into that before, but
I just can't remember from the top of my head what the problem was. I'll reply to the list
if I can find any information on it.

Proposal as follows:
----------------------------8<-----------------------------------

Application
Apache Derby
is a RDBMS entirely developed using Java. Due to its small footprint and also
due to its flexibility and ability to be deployed in a multitude of
environments, Derby is one of the best open source alternatives currently out
there. The fact that it is the foundation for Sun’s Java DB clearly
demonstrates this. Since I am a software developer at heart and by passion, and
having a strong educational background on database administration, Derby called
my attention.

Last year I
participated and successfully completed a GSoC project with the Apache Software
Foundation. It was an incredible and enriching experience that allowed me to
connect with the community and have a better grasp of how it works. My project consisted
of creating unit tests (converting them into a new standard) and help with the
always on-going bug fixing. From a technical point of view, this experience
taught me a lot.

These past
contributions to Derby are still available at [1].

I believe
that my previous experience with Derby will help me be successful again this
year. My mentor (Kathey Marsden) offered to mentor me again, and this time she
suggested I would take on a more challenging project. This project consists of
rolling in support for Chinese characters through the client driver [2].
According to my mentor, this project would ideally be undertaken by someone
with previous experience in contributing to Derby and as such, I qualify for
the task.

My build
environment is already setup and I have also taken on a smaller task [3] that
will help me build up to the main one.

I am still
passionate about developing software and as a fresh graduate I can also use all
the experience I can get. This program provides students with that experience
and I am thrilled to be a part of it again.

At this
point I am preparing to write the dissertation for my Master’s degree in
Advanced Software Engineering and I have no other time-consuming commitments
for the duration of the GSoC program. I am eager to take on this project!

[1] http://bit.ly/TiagoASF
 [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-728
 [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4584

Regards,