db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tiago Espinha <tiago.de...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Google Summer of Code
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:00:54 GMT
Dear all,

My name is Tiago Espinha and I participated in last year's edition of Google Summer of Code.
I've decided to participate again this year and after speaking with Kathey (my mentor from
last year) she suggested that I'd take on her DERBY-728. This issue seems overly complex for
a newcomer and I've had previous experience with contributing to Derby.

With this said, I'm taking on this issue for now and apply for GSoC with this issue in mind.
I know that when it comes to GSoC, Apache will have to submit a list of possible projects
for students to apply for. Is it possible that this is one of the possible projects? Or will
I have to apply under "derby-testandfix"?

In conversation with Kathey, I also considered another possibility, but for this I'd like
some input from the community. This year I'm doing a Master's degree in Advanced Software
Engineering, and I thought that perhaps it would be possible to take a Derby project as my
Master's thesis. My department allows me to submit my own idea, but what I would like to know
is if there is any outstanding, cutting-edge feature that we could possibly integrate into
Derby, even if just in an experimental basis.

On my course, there are two main focuses: service oriented architectures (web services and
all aspects related to web service modelling) and model driven development (MDD). I'm not
sure how familiar you are with the concept of MDD, as it does not seem to be something with
a lot of hype surrounding it, but I think it could possibly be a good concept to apply to
Derby. I've just been introduced this year to this concept and basically it boils down to
generating code from models. So instead of writing Java code, we simply create a model and
generate code from that; apparently this is being used in some companies and most of the times
up to 90% of the code can be generated automatically. The remaining 10% are written by hand
afterwards.

This is just food for thought, if you know of any other issues/features that would make a
good thesis subject, I'm open to suggestion.

For now, however, I'll be taking on DERBY-728.

Regards,
Tiago Espinha


      
Mime
View raw message