db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data type compatibility
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:59:39 GMT
?? ??????????? wrote:
> So, you feeling OK about sending such a proposal to Google guys? They
> will forward to Apache people, so I will post proposal to derby-dev
> mailing list also for conversation in community

That sounds good to me. It's important that all technical discussions about
Derby's implementations happen as a conversation in the community, so
derby-dev is the right place to discuss the issues around building SQLXML support.

Your GSoC application can, and should, refererence the derby-dev mail threads
and the JIRA issues that are used for tracking work for the project. As we
start to get more specific about the particular aspects of JDBC/SQLXML support
that need to be implemented, we can open specific JIRA entries to track each one.

As you can see, there are a number of existing JIRA entries about the XML support
that has been added so far, for example:
  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-688
  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1759
Studying these issues in detail should give you a feel for how the process
of developing additional SQLXML support can proceed: identify the areas where
Derby's support is lacking, propose an implementation to enhance Derby in those
areas, respond to community comments and suggestions, develop tests, etc.

Your ideas about the uses of XML and extensions to the XML handling are
great. The most important thing for the Derby community is to implement
a standards-compliant and highly-compatible database, so our first priority
is to ensure that we implement the JDBC and SQLXML specs, but beyond that
we can propose extensions to the XML handling to the Derby community to
see what the reaction is.

It is great that you have looked into the implementations of SQLXML in
Postgres, MySQL, and others; since the goal is compatibility, it will be
very helpful to compare our implementation against others.

Great work getting this far! I think the next step is for you to put together
a GSoC application and be as specific as you can be about the proposed work.

thanks,

bryan