db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data type compatibility
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:14:58 GMT
?? ??????????? wrote:
> "Because none of the JDBC-side support for SQL/XML is implemented
> in Derby, it is not possible to bind directly into an XML value or to
> retrieve an XML value directly from a result set using JDBC. Instead,
> you must bind and retrieve the XML data as Java strings or character
> streams by explicitly specifying the appropriate XML operators, XMLPARSE
> and XMLSERIALIZE, as part of your SQL queries"

Yes, this is definitely a restriction of the current Derby implementation,
and I can certainly see that it could cause compatibility problems with
applications written against other DBMS systems.

I think this would be a great improvement, to lift these restrictions and
implement the JDBC support for SQL/XML.

If you are interested in working on this project, I think this would be
a very good project to propose for Google Summer of Code. You can find
a lot of information about the SQLXML JDBC interfaces on the web, and
implementing that support for Derby would be a nice new feature for Derby to have.

thanks,

bryan