db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data type compatibility
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:16:52 GMT
Hi John, thanks for the ideas about data type handling.

> Have some vision about data centric compatibility between databases:
>
>    1. Numeric type precision

I think you are describing an approximate numeric data type, in which
two distinct values would be considered to be equal if the difference
between them was small. So sometimes when manipulating a value we would
pay attention to the entire precision, sometimes we would not.

Is that right?

>    2. XML type compatibility

I didn't understand this proposal. Derby currently supports an XML
data type; it is described here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/ref/rrefsqljtypexml.html

Do you feel that this data type is not compatible with Oracle or DB2?

thanks,

bryan