db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Leroux <sylv...@chicoree.fr>
Subject Re: Scripting Derby?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:28:00 GMT
Thank you all for your replies on that topic.

I agree that we shouldn't spend too much time and efforts adding "scripting"
capabilities to ij - whereas there are so much languages that could be supported
through JSR 223 (Scripting for the JavaTM Platform).

At this point, I see two places where scripting support could be investigated:
- "inside" Derby, to support stored procedures/functions written using a
scripting language. Shazin Sadakath has already done some work on that as part
of DERBY-4467.
- "outside" Derby, to ease maintenance tasks by allowing an administrator to run
scripts against a Derby DB without relying on a specific Java development.

One key point should be the ease of use.

I don't know at which extend other DBMS supports scripting languages. Maybe one
of our enthusiast students could perform a quick survey on this?

- Sylvain

View raw message